I love cooking especially during the holidays. In fact, for Christmas Eve I cooked everything from Ina Garten’s recipes. Ina, better known as the Barefoot Contessa, cooks mostly French for entertaining which means butter, cream and oil. These were my 3 food groups and I was a huge fan of carbs!
Taking on this change in my life has meant changing the way I eat. Luckily for me I have always loved vegetables but eating them for every meal can be challenging. I am not a nutritionist or doctor but I have found meals that work for me to follow in these simple rules:
- 1 gram of protein per pound of weight
- No carbs after 4pm
- No sugar
- Eat every 2.5 to 3.5 hours
- 1 gallon of water a day
Do I follow these rules 100%? No, but 90% of the day I do! That is a big improvement of my old habits. Now, I’m working on new and healthy habits.
This weekend I went food shopping and bought everything I need for the week. This helps me stay on track without seeking the bad stuff. I bought things like chicken, turkey sausage, chicken sausage, spring mix, veggies for my salads, bananas, strawberries, eggs and egg whites. Below is a sample of what I’ll be eating today:
- Breakfast: 1 egg with 3 egg whites, turkey sausage patty, Ezekiel bread
- Snack: Strawberries
- Lunch: Salad (spring mix, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and balsamic vinaigrette) with grilled chicken
- Snack 2 hours before gym: Grilled chicken and sweet potato
- Snack after gym: Banana
- Dinner: Turkey sausage with green peppers and onions
- I drink as much water as I can during the day but if I want something with flavor I make my own brewed ice tea
I also have a large collection of plastic containers to help me prep my meals so I can grab ‘n go each day:
Here is also a sample of my turkey sausage with veggie prep:
This is a lot of work compared to how I was but it’s helping me get to my end goal so it is worth it. A good prep day is Sunday and I’ve also started writing out my meals for each day so I know what to throw in my bag.